Complete Outdoor Grow Kit
Kale is part of the genus of plants in the mustard family called brassica. There are several varieties, all of which are delicious — from Curly Kale, most commonly found in grocery stores, to more exotic types like Chinese and Ornamental.
For this kit, we chose Organic Heirloom Lacinato Kale, recognizable by its longer, narrower leaves and darker color. We like it for a number of reasons:
- It’s tolerant of hot and cold weather.
- Its leaves are more tender than other varieties and delicious both raw and cooked.
- It holds up well in stews and other hearty dishes.
Kale is a cool season plant that grows best when temperatures are between 40°F and 75°F, starting roughly 3 to 5 weeks before the last frost in the Spring and 10 to 12 weeks before the first one in the Fall. It needs 6 to 8 hours of sunlight per day and can be harvested in 55 to 65 days
- Organic Heirloom Lacinato Kale seed
- 7-gallon reusable grow bag
- Organic potting blend
- Organic compost
- Organic vermicompost
- Organic granular fertilizer
- Organic water soluble fertilizer
- Garden fabric
- Assistance along your growing journey